Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Do we all subscribe to behaviorism?

I'm in tutorial right now and it strikes me that most of us still subscribe to the behaviorism theory of learning. As a child, when you answer a question wrongly, the teacher will prompt for the right answer by dropping hints. Now, even as adults, when the instructor prompts for elaboration we immediately perceive that we are wrong and subsequently, the less courageous ones of us cower to reinforcing a previous idea which we think was right.

No doubt there are cognitivists in each of us but I began to wonder if the cognitive way of learning comes after the behaviorist? We take in the ideas of others and we reinforce what's right. It's like the behaviorists in us accepting what is right to maximize benefits and avoid loss or punishment..

Just a thought. I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment