Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Lecture

Firstly, I would have to be honest and say that 8am lectures are actually fine by me. Or is that the start of term brain talking? Hmmm.. Nonetheless, it was rather disheartening to walk into such a large LT to see so little people in attendance, LT11 is definitely way too big for a Level 3000 class which usually registers a hundred few people? Definitely demoralizing.

I spoke to the lecturer about webcasting the module, and now that I think about it, it doesn't just embrace the concept of E-Learning, but IF people were to start missing class later on in the semester, there's still the webcast to fall back on. Not that I'm saying people will start missing classes but I have seen low attendance for modules with webcast.

Secondly, I do hope that the mind map exercise was a one time only exercise. I don't mind doing mind maps, and I do do them in my own time for revision but not in class. Then again Mr Low's instruction method is definitely something new - though I wish lectures were more coherent and louder.

Thirdly, I've learned my lesson for weekly assessment. Save first, double check answers before submitting. Le sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Eunice,

    I note your idea of Webcasting. I will consider it for the lectures that have a need for that. The mind map exercise that you mentioned is just one aspect of exercise. I asked for concept maps and timelines in a collaborative exercise to help students connect to the readings.

    The essence of my teaching style is to "draw out". This means I expect my students to be self-directed and active learners.

    I hope you know what I am getting at. Having a monologue (one-way) lecture to me is a no-no and 19th century pedagogy.Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't talked about what you've learnt? Did you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was supposed to include it in but it was planned for a second entry

    Will post it up soon!

    ReplyDelete